Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Nursing

Our Nursing Journey

Nursing! For Samara and I the beginning was really difficult. She has a slight tongue tie and so when she was super new and neither of us knew what we were doing it was a big problem. I also hadn't known to buy a good nipple cream and so by the time I was told, my nipples were raw, scabbing and so sore I would cry when she latched and I had to take Tylenol in order to handle the pain. After the midwife found out she prescribed a medical nipple cream and that did wonders as it promoted fast healing and also helped keep new damage at bay. As Samara and I worked on finding a system that worked for us things got easier as well because we had better latches and that helped with lesser damage as well.

We tried so many different holds before we settled on one that worked for us. And to be honest it took a while for it to work on both sides. My brain would be able to get her to latch well on one side but not the other. For some reason I couldn't hold her the same on one side and then replicate it on the other. It was SO frustrating. We also had to work through mastitis and I had tissue that hadn't come out at the delivery that made me really sick at the same time. I had a huge fever and had to go on medication for the mastitis and thankfully the tissue came out naturally or I would have needed a DnC.

For you new moms I would say that for nursing, if you are offering your breast to your baby every 2 -3 hours and your baby is having enough wet/poopy diapers then you're doing great. If not, just offer your breast more often. If your baby is falling asleep while nursing you can try changing their diaper, tickling their feet or taking off some of their layers of clothing. Remember that all babies are different and some will eat more, some less and as long as those numbers for their diapers are adding up you don't need to worry.

Now nursing is great. She latches on no problem, she nurses for about 10 mins and then she's full. She is an easy burper and doesn't get gassy except on rare occasions. It was totally worth every tear, all of the pain and while it wasn't an easy skill to learn we have caught on and she's in the 98% for weight for her age. Every roll she has I love especially because I know that together we put it there.

Nursing is all about teamwork. You and the baby must learn to work together to figure out how to best go about it. Remember that the baby is new to EVERYTHING and that you are as well.

As for let downs mine are really strong and they hurt. Some women don't know when they are having them and others (like me) do. Watch your baby as it may be too much milk all at once and the baby might choke. Unlatch your baby from your nipple by sliding your finger into the side of their mouth and breaking the suction between your nipple and the babies mouth. Never yank your nipple out as you can cause serious damage! Then trust your baby to cough out the milk and suck in air. It can be scary for sure but as long as the baby is choking, coughing, crying ~ making sounds, they're breathing. If they are clearly having trouble call either the nurses hotline or 9-11 depending on the situation and get help.

Most of all, have fun! Nursing is so special between you and your baby. Your milk is nourishing as well as healing and quite amazing if you read up on it (even a little). Enjoy these snuggles and milky faces, these babes of ours are growing so quickly!

Keep seeking the healing and sunshine!
Love your friend,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you made it through...nursing seems like it should be so easy and natural it is quite the shock to the system!!!!

    ReplyDelete