Hello Dear Heart,
How have you been? I have been quiet here because I haven’t been quiet in life. Why? Because I planted a garden. My first adult garden because I finally own a home with a yard.
A garden. Have you had one? Planted tiny seeds, held your breath and waited for the signs of life? This year I did, but it was more then that. We created the plot, prepared the soil, planted, watered, created supports for the plants that will grow up and added more spots for more plants as they happened.
I went from nothing to a very lush garden in about 2 months. The weather has been phenomenal. And while I sometimes resent the amount of time watering takes, if my children aren’t screaming at me because it’s bedtime then it’s actually quite calming and peaceful.
Did you know you can till your land or create a no dig garden? Did you know you need to companion plant? Plants help each other but sometimes they hurt each other. For example beans and garlic cannot be planted near each other. The garlic is antibacterial and kills the bacteria the beans need to grow. You can also garden in the ground or build raised beds. You can put up fences and tunnels, put in paths and chairs - you can create an Eden.
My garden has one main garden divided into thirds by 2 brick paths. I have two garden areas along my hedge, a flower garden, a large raised bed garden, a singular raised box, a corn plot and a squash plot.
We also put in a berry section that has blueberry bushes and a raspberry patch.
I want to plant a lilac bush, a peach tree, fig tree and apple tree. There are so many things I want to create. I’m so excited at the potential our land has.
This year I planted potatoes, 2 kinds of carrots, 3 kinds of peas, 4 kinds of lettuces, spinach, Swiss chard, kale, spinach, 3 types of beans, cucumbers, pickle cucumbers, lemon grass, arugula, garlic, many kinds of tomatoes, yellow and red peppers, hot peppers, broccoli, 2 types of onions, flowers, a variety of squashes, herbs and strawberries.
Let’s just say I’m very excited to see if my watermelon grows here. I’m in a 8b zone.
Keep seeking the healing and sunshine!!
Laura










No comments:
Post a Comment