The first trimester is said to be one of the hardest depending on if you're hit with morning sickness, or constant sickness as some of us like to call it. It can be difficult to say the least.
My First Trimester Story
Travel - Plane / Car, Nausea, Hotel Stays
![]() |
| It's fun to shop for maternity clothes!!! |
So I was off to a rough start.
Next I started looking for a local midwife, which proved impossible for my area and so I settled on Vancouver midwifery. Unfortunately you have to actually live in the city in order to be taken on as a client to gain access to that cities midwives. But as luck would have it I work full time in the city and my doctor was willing to send me to either Richmond or Vancouver (depending on my choice) and so I found a clinic that would take me.
A few weeks later and I was waiting in traffic on my commute home, thinking about sitting there, being in labour and not being able to speed off to the hospital like I would if I were to deliver in Richmond and it hit me, I HAD to change locations. So I called the Delta midwives, explained the situation and got moved over.
Honestly, God has given me so much favor and blessing during this whole transition and journey of pregnancy. I have felt so much peace about this baby even though she was a bit of a surprise and I don't know what our lives will look like during the couple of years of schooling my husband has left or after. After miscarrying our first precious babe I thought I would be a lot more anxious with this one, and while I have noticed that I panic before each appointment as to whether she's still alive or not, for all that in between time I never worry once.
Blood Test #1, Dating Ultrasound, Dr Appointments
I got to the clinic, took a number, went to the change room after my name was called, Raymond had to wait in the seating area, and then the ultrasound began. My technician was super nice and told me that she wouldn't be talking during the appointment so she could focus on the pictures she had to take. I'm guessing it's so she wouldn't have to stop talking if something was wrong, because that would be super awkward. Anyway she eventually got Raymond and we watched our baby wave at us on the monitor and swim (it was a valiant attempt for a ten week old, three centimeter long baby that had arms and legs but still only nubs for fingers and toes), to say the least we were enthralled and very impressed. And I finally got it, the baby on the monitor is so clear and beautiful which is why the parents love to show those grainy, blurry ultrasound photos that make no sense as to what we're looking at to the rest of us! They have the memory of the clear baby and so the pictures make sense.
Our baby is healthy, growing, normal and dated in at 9 weeks, not the 10 we thought we were at given the first day of my last period.
Next on the list was my blood test. My husband also needed one and so we went together (who am I kidding, if he doesn't come it doesn't happen). He got his like a champ and then it was my turn. I got the elastic tied to my arm (the vein on my left arm is so beautiful, every technician loves it and tells me so), I got swabbed and then it happened. It always does. I freak, I pull away, I talk quickly so they'll stop and listen instead of poke, I try and explain why today won't work for me (while I'm in the chair already there and ready to go) and then I start to cry. It's horrible. There is however a saving grace God has given me, it's my hands. I made my mother spank my hands when I was young (I'm so sorry mom) because she didn't want to (they were my piano hands and she was paying for the lessons) and I needed to control something so that's what we did. I learned to desensitize myself from the pain in my hands and so ta-da! I can get my blood taken from my hand if they can get a vein to pop up blah blah blah. It takes some work and a heat pack but this superstar (the lady drawing multiple bottles of blood from my poor hand) got it done!
It's true, getting my blood taken is traumatic for me every time but I somehow (thank you Jesus) am able to eventually overcome my fear and get the deed done without too much drama or hysterics. So if you too have a hard time getting blood taken you're not alone and it's okay to cry.
My blood work came back awesome and I have great iron stores as well as great iron.
Exhaustion, Constant Nausea, Weight Gain / Loss
So if your first trimester isn't going the way you planned or thought it would, if you are sleeping all of the time, not eating very much except for junk food because all of a sudden that's the only thing your nose and stomach can agree is appealing DON'T WORRY, it will even itself out in the end. At the beginning of my pregnancy I weighed in at 189.9 lbs and by the time I had hit the 12 week mark after eating a regular diet of A&W I was down to 175 lbs.
Or if you are sailing through your first trimester with barely a thought or notice that your body is making huge changes because you feel wonderful then I am so happy for you! I wouldn't wish the constant nausea on anybody. Keep up the healthy eating and exercise and know that it's a wonderful thing you've got going on!
Extended Morning Sickness, Road Trip, Dislocations, Pinched Nerves, Numb Leg, Food Cravings, Loneliness
That's about it I guess. There are of course the cravings (don't watch tv, food commercials killed me) and the emotions (so many tears and I'm not one to cry often or easily) and the overwhelming changes, information and possible loss if your friends and family have no clue what you are feeling or going through and don't understand why you can only nap and lay on the couch for months.
You will make it through. Your baby is worth it! And you are NOT alone. Please remember that, you are not alone and someone, I, understand.
Look for the healing and sunshine!
Laura xo


No comments:
Post a Comment