Monday, January 18, 2021

2021 - How ARE you doing?

Hello and how are you doing? Please make a cup of whatever your heart desires, sit, relax and read. So, how are you? Covid, isolation, sadness, fear, afraid, anxious, happy, sad, alone... I’m not here to impress anyone. I’m here to put some thoughts out there, to listen and spend some time. 

To be honest Covid as a disease hasn’t felt that overwhelming to me. I mean it did when it was in Italy and the poor were dying because they didn’t have access to proper medical care while the rich were fine. Or when I read how the elderly were being turned away to die in favour of the young because there weren’t enough breathing tubes... covid hasn’t taken anyone close to me or even made anyone sick that I know of. Yet it has changed my entire world and yours too I’m guessing. 

How? Well, the government recommended shutting everything down and so everything did - shut down I mean. Nobody really knew what was going on at the time so everyone was scared. I felt like everyone around me thought I was a monster for putting my children into a shopping cart and getting groceries with them. The dentists had a conference where they were all exposed to covid so that shut down and when they reopened I was made to feel like it was dangerous to take myself and daughter to get our teeth cleaned. School was cancelled, parks shut down, everything closed except for big chain stores and fast food joints. At the time I was living in a small townhouse with two toddlers and a deck. It felt like we couldn’t even go outside for a walk. Streets were deserted and yet parking lots were full. Like in a zombie movie. It felt like we were suffocating. 

My husband woke up, went to work every day, came home and that stayed the same. His life didn’t change in that routine. And I’m grateful. So many have lost their jobs, and everything has gone up. Gas, groceries, everything is getting pricier. My heart aches and screams for those who are silently suffering behind house doors, wondering what they’re going to do. And the rich get richer.

I wear a mask to be respectful towards those to whom masks feel safe / mean safety. I wash my hands for hygienic reasons, because we were supposed to be washing our hands before there was a pandemic. 

I can take my kids to a park and they can run and play with whatever stranger is there but I’m not supposed to meet up with someone I know... I can go for a walk with a friend but I can’t stand around outside talking with them no matter how far apart we are... I’m not supposed to have anyone over in my large backyard to hang out with, share my heart, connect, breathe life into no matter how spaced apart we are. Oh, my backyard you ask? Not my tiny deck? Well, we moved during a pandemic. 

Can I just say any transition during covid is not for the faint of heart. Those having babies, those trapped in an old folks home, retirement home, moving, changing jobs etc. You are supposed to be supported, loved, helped. But the government says - not during covid. You’re on your own. Forget weddings, church and funerals. Forget anything held in the privacy of your own home. Forget anything that creates social interaction, lifts moral or brings joy. Oh wait!!! Your kids can go to school, hang out on school grounds, mask-less, playing, learning, etc. But don’t have anyone over. Nothing behind closed doors. And if you get beat up at home? Too bad for you. Now you’re alone 24/7. How is this okay? How is this happening? There are inconsistencies and double standards everywhere you turn. The rich are vacationing and living their lives and we are... stopped, stuck, waiting?

I’m not saying covid isn’t real. It is. Covid exists. I’m not saying covid doesn’t kill. It does. But so does the flu or pneumonia for example. You can get a flu shot. It doesn’t mean you won’t get the flu, ask your Dr. Every year they have to guess the strains of flu that will be out and about and if they are right then you have some back up from your shot and if they’re wrong then you may as well have skipped the poke and heavy metals and toxins. 

And everyone has an opinion. And it’s big and loud and afraid. Fear is what drives people to be big, loud, scary. Or you may be a flight or fawn or freeze type but if you are a fighter - it’s all fear based. So take some deep breaths, I’m mean big - inhale for 6 seconds, hold for 4 and exhale for 8. Take a second to step back and see I’m not writing to attack or hurt or judge. I’m not writing even to find a cheer squad or a group of people who agree with me. But facts hold up right? No they don’t because there are so many out there and it’s hard to sift through the constant change of what’s being said. 

Covid isn’t new - fact - but covid 19 is a new strain.

Covid is a virus - fact - and that means it can adapt and change. 

Covid can kill you - fact - it has killed people. But it has also affected others not at all. Others have gotten covid and not even had a fever. Like the flu it affects each person differently.

Covid has a vaccine - fact - but like all viruses this vaccine only covers covid 19 and even then they aren’t sure how long it’s good for.

It comes down to this. Fact check. Don’t be lazy, look things up for yourself. Try not to be afraid. Take some deep breaths and go outside - get your daily dose of vitamin D. Apparently that helps. If you need a friend then do what needs to be done, stay home if you’re sick, wash your hands - simple things that make sense. 

After all, if you’re single then you’re allowed to interact with one or two people anyway. And if you have nannies or grandparent support or babysitters or in house cleaners you can keep that going too. 

Be smart, be sane and find healing this year. Thanks for reading and make sure to leave kind, communicative, factual based comments below. 

Keep seeking healing and sunshine,

Laura





No comments:

Post a Comment