Friday, September 16, 2016

Week 35

Pregnancy and Gestational Diabetes

Our "blank" canvas
Well this week wasn't what I had planned. Sunday I didn't go to church because I didn't feel so good, Monday my midwife appointment got cancelled, Tuesday my doctor appointment got rescheduled and I found out that I have gestational diabetes. 

At week 26 every pregnant woman is supposed to be offered the chance to take a diabetes test. You make an appointment and go to the clinic, drink this gross orange sugar juice and sit for an hour and then you get your blood taken and in a few days find out if you have or don't have gestational diabetes. 

Adding the color
Somehow I got missed for this opportunity and I forgot to ask for it myself and so week 34 I remembered, asked and then in week 35 decided to take the test. The thing is that you don't have to and I really hate needles so I was going to skip it. But there are some serious repercussions if you do have gestational diabetes and it goes unchecked. So I went, week 34, took the test and I have them. I'm so glad I found out so that I can take preventative measures even though I'm almost about to deliver. 

Last week I changed my diet because I wanted to detox off of sugar, eat healthier etc. This turned out to be such a blessing because I barely failed my glucose test and so as it turns out I am going to be on trial to see if I can control my diabetes through diet. Usually it would be controlled through diet and exercise but I can't exercise due to my dislocations and levels of pain. I have to test my blood sugar 6 times a day which means a needle gets jabbed into my finger until i can squeeze a drop of blood out and into a little test paper that sucks it in and then the digital reader gives me my bloods information. It's painful and a big deal for me considering I HATE needles but for my babies health it's worth it. 

Wednesday I took the day off of work as I am having a hard time physically and it's my last week of work before the baby comes which is really hard. I have nannied for this family for almost 5 years and I have poured my life into them. I love this family wholeheartedly and I am really going to miss them. 

The finished masterpiece
Friday, today I got my last pay cheque, Annalise, Emma, Lindsey and I had a tea party but I couldn't have the treats because of the diabetes and then the whole Penner family and I went to Four Cats Studio and together we painted a beautiful butterfly for me to take home after it's stretched and mounted. It was so painful to leave, Emma ran down the sidewalk beside my car and I bawled. I had to call Raymond to talk to me on my way home so that I could calm down enough to drive. Annalise and I bawled as we hugged goodbye as well. It was a beautiful and hard day, so difficult. 

I'm really looking forward to sitting on my couch, nesting and relaxing before I go into labour. My body is so tired and big. Something I'm nervous about is the labour, that I won't be able to handle it. An epidural isn't an option for me because of the EDS.

Let me know some of the things you're nervous about and we can let it go together - remember that in the end a healthy baby is all that matters. All other birth plans are secondary.

Keep looking for the healing and sunshine!
Love you friend,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment